Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Getting Our Salt Back

Jesus said, "Anyone who causes one of these little ones to stumble, it would be better if a great millstone where hung around his neck and he was thrown into the sea." Lord have mercy.

In my twenties, before I had children myself, I used to watch parents with their children and think how much better I would be at this one day. Ha.

Later, during a really hard time as a parent myself, I realized love and fear were all mixed up together in me, body and soul. Wishing to protect my child I often intervened in unhelpful ways. Sometimes my 'cure' seemed as bad or worse than the 'disease'.

Jesus said that salt can get mixed up with other stuff and not really be salt anymore. Love often gets mixed up with fear and is really not love anymore. Good intentions can have bad results if we don't learn how to separate love from fear.

Salt is a good thing. It represents what is savory and preserving.

Jesus said everybody will be salted with fire.

One thing this can mean is that the very times when we're most confused or hurt or down on ourselves can become the beginning of the path we take back toward saltiness, toward wholeness. Pain signals that something is wrong and can easily become the motivation to make it right.

Fire (difficult times) can be how we get our salt back--ff we want it back badly enough.

2 comments:

The Copes said...

Michael -- I found a link to your blog on Textweek ... I hope it's ok to snoop a bit on your blog and bounce off of some of your ideas :) Thanks for putting them out there!
Hope you are well --
~marie cope

Michael Hudson said...

Glad to have you snooping. I'd love to have you post any insights you have as we move toward any given Sunday.

Sunday Propers

You can see what all the lessons are here. Just go to the date at look at the RCL readings.

About Me